How to File Your Late 2017 Taxes

Sooner or later, it’s time for your taxes.

The 2018 tax season left as soon as it arrived. The IRS announced the dates that you need to remember.

Here are some important tax dates and how to get started with your 2017 tax return.

2018 Tax Season Calendar

Here are dates you should remember:

  • On January 1, Rapidtax launched the 2017 tax application.
  • January 29 is when the IRS allows you to start e-filing your 2017 tax return.
  • January 31 marks the deadline when employers must issue income statements to employees.
  • April 17 is the tax deadline for individual returns and when you should file an extension if you haven’t finished your tax return.
  • October 15 marks the deadline for your extension and when you must file your tax return since the IRS has not yet announced this date.
  • April 15, 2021 is the last day to clam your 2018 tax refund.

The Earlier, the Better!

Don’t stall this tax season. File your return early and get your refund sooner. However, there are a few things to consider this tax season. In an attempt to reduce fraudulent returns, the IRS will delay refunds for taxpayers claiming the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). As a result, taxpayers who claim these credits should expect their refund after February 27th. Typically, the IRS issues refunds within 21 days, if there’s no further review.

For taxpayers who have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) with the middle digits of 70, 71, 72 or 80, ensure to renew your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) since it will expire at the end of the year.

Gather all your information.

The IRS advises taxpayers to gather ALL of their income statements and receipts to file a complete tax return to prevent any delays in their refund. Keep in mind, this information is important when filing:

  • SSN and DOB: Please make sure that all of the digits are correct when entering your personal information to prevent any delays in your refund.
  • Income statements: W-2 Statement, 1099 Forms, etc. 
  • Health Insurance:  Most returns are amended due to incorrectly entering health insurance forms. Be sure to have all of the accurate forms. (Forgetting to file Form 1095-A for the Premium Tax Credit Form 8962 is a common mistake so make sure it is accurate.)
  • Charitable Donation Receipts: Make sure to obtain a letter of recognition indicating the date, the amount donated as well as the organization name of any charity you are donating to.
  • Job/Business Expenses Records: If you are itemizing deductions, the IRS will want documentation such as receipts to verify your expenses to find out if they are qualified.

Above all, you will need documentation to support any expenses you are reporting, especially if you are itemizing your deductions. If you’re missing a W-2, contact your employer for a copy. By any chance, if you do not have your income statements, you should request an IRS income transcript by following this link.

How Do I File a 2017 Tax Return

You can choose to either e-file your 2017 tax return online or prepare a paper-filed return. With RapidTax, all you need to do is follow these three easy steps:

  1. Go to RapidTax to select the 2017 tax year to create a username and password.
  2. Enter your tax information such as your income, deductions, and credits.
  3. Submit your account to us once you are ready

You can no longer e-file your 2017 taxes due to the e-file deadline passing since October 15, 2021. 

Can’t afford your tax due?

Luckily, if you can’t afford to pay off your tax due to the IRS immediately, you can file a payment plan request with the IRS. RapidTax offers this option for taxpayers! All you need to do is include your information to send a paper check monthly to the IRS.

Another way to pay your tax due is through the IRS Direct Pay by clicking here. Additional fees may apply.

Be sure to file.

RapidTax is here to get your refund as soon as possible! Our live representatives are here to answer any questions you have.

When Does the 2018 Tax Season Start for Filing 2017 Tax Returns? It's simpler with RapidTax.

4 Replies to “How to File Your Late 2017 Taxes”

  1. My boyfriend and I had a baby last year in December but at the time we were not living together. I worked through my pregnancy and decided that i would claim our newborn for the tax year 2016. Now I live with my boyfriend and our son is 1 year old and he has supported us 100% since he was born! My question is can he claim me as a dependent. And how do i fill my W4 form now that I’m working a pastime job? Do I Fill the first line as single and no one can claim me or do I not fill it. I’m a bit confused

  2. I have a question.

    I exited the military a few years back and have been a full time student ever since. I am living in California going to school, but still claim South Carolina residency. I just started working a few months ago and got my tax statement in the mail. When I applied for the job, I put down SC as my residence but my Tax Statement says CA on it. Am I to pay CA taxes even though I am considered a SC resident and full time student? I’ve been told that since I am a full time student I don’t have to change my residency during that period. I also, didn’t make that much since I started as TYD is less than $2,000.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    1. Generally, employers withhold state taxes in the state where the business operates regardless of your residency. You would be filing a Resident SC return and a Non-Resident CA Return. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *