File a Tax Extension Online with Form 4868

Filing a tax extension gives you an extra six months to file your return, but not to pay your tax bill

The April 15th tax deadline is still over a month away, but for many taxpayers this won’t be long enough to get their financial ducks in a row. Thankfully, the IRS allows you to file an extension and buy yourself a little extra time.

An extension gives you an extra six months to file. Instead of being due on April 15, 2013 your tax return will then be due on October 15, 2013. E-file stays open until the October deadline so you can prepare and file your return just as you would during the season.

In order to request a tax extension you must file Form 4868 [Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return] by the normal tax deadline, April 15th.

An extension does not, however, give you an extra six months to pay the tax man. On Form 4868 you must estimate your tax liability and pay any balance due. If this amount is different from what you get after actually filing your taxes later in the year, you will either receive the difference in the form of a refund or have to send an extra check to the IRS. Continue reading “File a Tax Extension Online with Form 4868”

IRS Form 4868 – How to File a Tax Extension

To get an IRS extension, file Form 4868 before Tuesday, April 17

We’re down to the last week of the tax season, and if you’re not scrambling to finish your return, you’re probably wondering, “How do I get a tax extension?”

The answer is IRS Form 4868 [Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return]. File it by April 17 and you can get an extra six months to do your return.

You can file Form 4868 electronically. There’s no need to go through the hassle of printing it out and mailing it in to the IRS.

Plus, you can take comfort knowing that you will receive an electronic acknowledgement as soon as you e-file the form. You won’t have to deal with the stress of waiting to find out whether your request for an extension was accepted – and then scramble to get your return done if it wasn’t.

When you e-file your extension, or your actual return for that matter, be sure to have a copy of your 2010 tax return on hand. You’ll need some information, specifically your 2010 AGI, in order to verify your identity. Continue reading “IRS Form 4868 – How to File a Tax Extension”

1099 Tax Form – What Is It?

If you received a 1099 tax form, save it. You’ll need it when filing your taxes.

If you received a 1099 form in the mail, you may not be sure what it is or what to do with it. Whatever you do, don’t throw it out. You’ll need the information listed on the 1099 when filing your taxes during tax season.

1099 forms are used to report income not included on a W-2 [Wage and Tax Statement], in other words income that is not included in wages, salaries, and tips.

The 1099 is most commonly used to pay independent contractors, such as freelancers and consultants, who are not official employees of a company.

If you received a 1099, you’ll need to report the earnings listed as self-employment income on a business tax return. RapidTax is here to help.

Variations of the 1099 Form

There are 24 different variations of the 1099 form, covering far more than just nonemployee compensation. Different 1099 forms report different types of income from interest and dividends to real estate sale proceeds and debt cancellation. Some of the most common 1099s include the following;

  • 1099-B [Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions] records all stock transactions and helps you report capital gains to the IRS when you file your return. Use your 1099-Bs to fill out Form 8949 [Sales and Other Dispensations of Capital Assets] as well as Schedule D [Capital Gains and Losses]. Continue reading “1099 Tax Form – What Is It?”