How to Fill Out a W-4 Correctly

Filling out a W-4 is less mind-boggling than you think.

One of the first things you have to do when you get a new job is filling out a Form W-4 [Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate]. It is essential to complete a W-4 correctly because it determines how much tax will be withheld from your pay and how large your tax refund will be.

The first half of the form is pretty easy. You just have to fill in your name, address, and marital status.

Then you have to figure out how many allowances to claim. This number will determine the amount of your withholding.

Number of allowances to claim

Generally, the number of allowances you should claim will correspond to the number of personal and dependency exemptions you can claim on your tax return, but this is not always the case. Claiming zero allowances will result in the maximum amount of tax withheld. Every additional allowance you claim on top of that means that a little less tax is withheld.

You’re a Dependent:

If you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return (ie: your parent’s, aunt’s, etc.), you should claim zero allowances. When you’re a dependent, the person who claims you get the benefit of your personal exemption and you, yourself, will end up owing slightly more in taxes. Hence, the tax should be withheld at the maximum rate of zero allowances.

You are Single: 

As a single taxpayer, your W-4 form is straightforward enough but you do have several options when it comes to claiming allowances.

  • If you’re single with one job, the allowances to exemptions ratio don’t exactly hold true. Most single people claim one allowance. However, this is likely to result in a refund. If you prefer the extra money after filing, then claiming one allowance is the choice for you.
  • Claiming two allowances would get you closer to your exact tax liability, but may actually result in some tax due. That being said, you would have more take-home pay throughout the year since your employer wouldn’t be withholding as much tax from your paychecks.

Essentially you can choose whether to claim one or two, depending on the rest of your tax situation, but it’s probably safer to claim one.

You are Married: 

Have you tied the knot? This can drastically change your tax situation. Don’t worry; it’s typically for the better. Being married opens up a few doors for you when it comes to tax benefits. You can now file a joint tax return. This is the absolute ideal filing status in regards to taking advantage of your benefits as a taxpayer. In most cases, being married also allows you to claim more allowances on your W-4.

  • If you are married with no children, you should claim two allowances.
  • If you are married with one child*, you should claim three allowances.
  • If you are married with two children*, you should claim four allowances.

*Check your eligibility to claim the child tax credit. This gives you more money after filing but also allows you to claim additional allowances on your W-4.

Other Situations: 

Things get a little more complicated if you have multiple jobs, your spouse works, or you intend to itemize your deductions. In these cases you should turn your attention to page two of the W-4:

  • Deductions and Adjustments Worksheet: Use this worksheet if you plan to itemize deductions on your tax return or claim adjustments to your income.
  • Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet: You will be directed to use this worksheet from the Personal Allowances Worksheet, line h. It is only necessary if you are married and earning a combined income of over $20,000 or if you are single with two jobs earning over $50,000.

The IRS also has a withholding calculator on their website that can give you a second opinion on how many allowances to claim.

The last thing you need to do is figure out if you are exempt from withholding. For most, this is not the case. Essentially, you are only exempt from withholding if all of the following is true:

  • you aren’t a dependent,
  • you had the right to a refund of all income tax withheld last year, and
  • you are not required to file a return this year.

If you are exempt, you can write exempt in line seven. You’re done! All you have to do now is sign the form and hand it over to your employer.

Update Your W-4 For A Larger Refund or More in Your Paycheck

Even if you’ve been at your job for a while, it’s a good idea to monitor and, if necessary, update your W-4 every year. This is especially true if there’s been a major event in your life such as a marriage or the birth of a child.

The goal is to get your refund or tax due as close to $0 as possible. Getting a big refund when you file taxes is a great feeling. It can also trigger that your withholding needs to be adjusted. The reality is that you could be enjoying that money throughout the year instead of having it withheld from your paychecks.

Regardless, during tax season you’ll need to report the total earnings and tax withheld on a tax return. Use RapidTax to file your taxes without a hassle and receive the maximum refund possible!


Get Your Refund

Fill out a W-4 correctly to have the necessary income withheld for tax.

777 Replies to “How to Fill Out a W-4 Correctly”

  1. Hi,

    Please help to understand. I’m new in the USA and recently employed, so need to fill out the W4 form.
    My situation: I’m married, have 2 kids under age 7, my spouse is not employed, and my income less than $70k.
    My questions are:
    How many allowances should I claim? According to provided info on W4, I tried to fill out and allowance count became 8.
    IRS calculator is not available now. What can you suggest me?


  2. This may seem like a no brainer but I have to ask…
    I am married. Both my wife and I work and file jointly. Together our incomes are also in a different tax bracket than either one of us would be filing separately.
    I’m still listed as S1 for federal and SMCU1 state, while my wife is listed as M1 federal and A1 state.
    Every year we owe the Fed almost as much or just s little more than we get back from the state. I’m not looking for a big return but would rather not have to owe anyone…
    The state withholdings work out just where I want them and hope I don’t have to adjust them along with the federal. If that’s even possible. I can’t recall ever having to fill out a state form like a w4
    What changes can you advise?

  3. Hello,
    I got married in 2017 and i have one child from a previous relationship that i am claiming. i am filling out a new W4 for 2018 due to me starting a new position. We do not want to owe money, but i want to make sure i still get a child credit and so forth. a small refund would be nice.

    section A is it correct to put 1?

    section B – we both work so do i put 0?

    section C: do I put 1 or 0 for my spouse?

    section d: 1 for my child, correct?

    section E: 0- since i am married i can no longer file as head of household?? if my spouse makes more than I should he file head of house or we both leave blank?

    section F: 1 since i have 1 child, correct?

    section G: this is where i am nervous, we may make over 119K when combining incomes but I personally only make 52K, I still want a child credit so what should i put here? and should we file jointly or seperatly since my child is technically not his but we make a good amount of money?

    section: just add lines

    how many allowances should I claim, and my house claim? Should I do 2 for me and my child and he does 1 for himself?

    thanks so much for your help!

  4. Hi -i am married and my husband and I both work, but I earn more than he does. We have 2 children – for W-4 purposes, should i claim 3 and he claim 1? or should i claim 4? I would like to receive more per paycheck but don’t want to owe a crazy amount during tax season – (we rarely ever get a refund, even filing jointly, while both claiming 0 in the past).


  5. Hi, I’m single and have one child, answering the W4 form I come up with 7 allowances and that does not seem right, how many allowances should I have?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *